Monday, April 13, 2009

Why Do Goofy Things Make Me Cry?



This is Susan Boyle, 47, on the show Britain's Got Talent. Will someone please tell me why something like this makes me cry? Like a gift to fight cynicism. Pure talent. Something real, something appreciated. Her tears are so real and her talent amazing.

All she needs is a frog to hop up so she can kiss him and then he becomes a prince.

I remember years ago a commercial on TV around Christmas time. Family getting ready for the holidays. Lights. Gifts. Family. It was all there. Beautiful. But the mom in the family kept wistfully looking at a picture of a young man in uniform, obviously not home for the holidays, god knows where in the world. Of course, you know what happens. But, damn, I still cry for some reason.

I am too trusting to be totally cynical (ask anybody who knows me), but I am slowly becoming more wary of everything, and I mean everything. Things I never would have questioned before, I question now. Maybe that is naive on my part. Like I said, I think everyone is good until proven otherwise. I think everyone is honest. Even my daughter laughs at me and says I am not confrontational enough. There are certain things that send me over the edge though lately. Unfairness, dishonesty, arrogance, deceit.

You know how reformed smokers are the worst at preaching against the evils of smoking? Are they not the most obnoxious? Almost as bad as the greenies. I don't want to fall into the cynical world and never see the optimistic side again.

Maybe I should watch Pollyanna. Play the glad game. Anybody want to join me?

3 comments:

Karen Carter said...

I LOVED that so much Thanks for sharing and I know you are a wonderful Pollyanna down deep. No one can have the laugh you have and not be! Enjoyed getting caught up on your blog. xoxo Karen~

Happy Hour...Somewhere said...

Have you seen the one with Paul Potts on Britain's Got Talent? That is sooo much fun to watch, too. I cannot wait to hear your stories about your week with family~! I bet the new "baby" had a blast.

Jeanne said...

I loved that whole Susan Boyle story. She was amazing! Just telling Dave about it last night.

I love your optimism, Kat. You are what they call a GHF person. Glass Half Full. Life is too short not to see some good in it. Why is it that many "mature" people are GHE people? I don't get that myself. But I suppose it takes both kinds.

You keep being yourself and to heck with anyone to "mature." WE WANT SILLINESS AND GLASS HALF FULLNESS AND FUN AND RUN ON SENTENCES AND LAUGHTER AND POSITIVITY!!!!!