Friday, March 20, 2009

What's a Plup Erfect?



Spelling Bee 2008

As I get older, I find that skills I used to have are fading fast. I used to be able to read very, very quickly and not be a spaz at it. I have never been able to read upside down or backwards. I think you have to be an alien to do that well. Look at Leonardo Da Vinci. You don't think he was of this world do you? He has a whole book HAND written backwards. Freaky.

Have you ever had a word or phrase in your head and for the life of you cannot remember where you heard it or why it is rattling around in your head...and it will not leave you alone?! I used to read billboards so quickly and be muttering things like The Real Thing under my breath. Why, oh why? Damn Coke ad.

What I have noticed is that now I may read a word but I know that cannot possibly be what I read. I was reading a Twitter a friend had written and it had the word plup erfect in it...at least I thought that was what it said. I had to go back and realize he was saying pluperfect subjunctive tense. (I think he might be from the same planet as Da Vinci.)

But that is not the first time I have done that. I was shopping with my mom and sister and I was looking for a purse. I love purses and I love shopping for them. It was a big sale at Macy's or Robinson May, I don't remember now. I think we must have been laughing at people who buy purses with the name plastered all over it or even that obnoxious brand with the letter 'C' all over it. Thinking I am such a smart ass, I picked up another purse (which was cute by the way), and asked, "What's a Rizona? What a silly name." They both look at me, then the purse, and really, they did not have to laugh that hard. Look at the name again. What does it say? Oh, yeah, huh. ARIZONA. Not a Rizona.

It's Happy Hour~! Gonna go play now.

3 comments:

Jeanne said...

Kat. You are SO funny!

I love to mix up words. Like, Chrerry Mistras for Merry Christmas. Or Hocter Denninger for Dr. Henninger. I used to do that one all the time. Dave and I have always done that and lo and behold Glen from Del's office did it to. Actually Shel Silversteen had a book called Runny Babbit along those same lines. I love that book! I still read it! Ah, words. :-)

Happy Hour...Somewhere said...

You will get a kick out of this. Dr. H was dictating a letter to Dr. Tammy Hayton, but he said Dr. Hammy Tayton~! He started cracking up, which I love to hear him laugh, and started over. If I ever actually meet her, I may have to contain myself from telling her that story.

Jeanne said...

Hammy Tayton. Now that's what I'm talking about!